Subject: Re: Water
From: [email-masked] (Fernando Martins)
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 05:10:33 -0700

>glass.  I have a glass modeled out that has a solid form(actually has
>thickness not flat polys, just incase it helps) and I am trying to put a
>liquid in it that I can make a ripple accross the top of.  What I thought
>about doing was put aplainar poly acros the top of where I would want the
>liquid to be and use a displacement map to distort the surface in to a
>ripple like movement.  My problem is how do I limit the edge of the ripple
>so that it doesn't exit through the sides of the glass?

I had this problem once... I don't remeber if I solved it or if I just
'forgot' the project!

Let's see... You can try to control your displacement keeping it with very
small texture amplitude (yes, lots of trial and error, I know)

You can make two liquid objects. One of then is just the top surface (I'm sure
you don't want ripples inside the liquid :) ), so, when you apply the
displacement to the top object and since it doesn't expand to the sides, you
shouldn't have any problems there. But there may exist problems if you see the
glass in a side view, because the objects can separate from each other.

Well, if you just want to see the glass from above, then you don't even need
to displace anything! You just have to assign two surfaces to your liquid
object: one for the top and one for the rest of it. Make both surfaces the
same, but in the top one add some bump maps with velocity over the ZZ and some
high specularity with high glossiness and 'voila', moving liquid on a glass.
No problems with 'liquids that penetrates in solid objects' :)

HEY!!! Thanks to you I solved my problem with the fountain I am making
(wich doesn't look very good at all)!!! Gee, thanks :)

__________________________________________________________________________
        __ _ _
       /_ /|/|          2D and 3D Animation / Special Effects
      /  /   |         http://homepage.esoterica.pt/~fmartins/
      Graphics               (sorry, no english yet...)
       Wizard!                 [email-masked]